Write for Modern Reformation
We accept submissions for the following:
MR web articles should be between 1500-2500 words. Please submit manuscript in Microsoft Word to Brannon Ellis at: email@example.com. MR does not accept simultaneous submissions or submissions of previously published content, including online publications. After submitting, please allow four weeks for the MR editorial team to decide upon it. If you have not heard anything by the end of four weeks, you may send a follow up query.
MR Print essays should be between 4500-6000 words. Please submit manuscript in Microsoft Word to Brannon Ellis at: firstname.lastname@example.org. MR does not accept simultaneous submissions or submissions of previously published content, including online publications. After submitting, please allow four weeks for the MR editorial team to decide upon it. If you have not heard anything by the end of four weeks, you may send a follow up query.
Letters to the Editor:
We welcome your letters responding to the content we’ve published. You can find the guidelines regarding these submissions here.
We are now accepting poetry submissions for Modern Reformation Magazine! You can find the guidelines for those submissions here.
Letters to the Editor:
MR has always sought to initiate and shape theological conversations. To that end, we welcome your letters responding to the content we’ve published. Because space is limited, please keep your letters under four hundred words. Letters may be edited for length and clarity. Because of MR’s production schedule, letters must be received within three weeks of the publication of the new issue and will appear two issues after it. (Example: letters sent in response to the May/June issue must be received by the end of the third week of May, and will be published in the Sep/Oct issue of the same year.)
Please submit your letters to email@example.com.
Poetry Submissions to Modern Reformation Magazine
Thank you for sharing your work with us at Modern Reformation magazine! We encourage submissions from both new and established poets. Please review the guidelines prior to submitting.
- We publish six issues a year.
- We consider only previously unpublished work. Writing that has appeared online for any reason, including social media posts, is considered to have been previously published and should not be submitted.
- By submitting your work, you affirm you are the sole author.
- Our focus is bringing excellent poetry to our readers, but we are looking for a specific type of poetry, poetry that is metered and often rhymed.
- We love sonnets, sestinas, ballads, elegies, and villanelles or any type of verse with a consistent rhyme scheme, musical pattern, or musical form.
- We are not currently publishing haiku, concrete poetry, ekphrastic poetry, or limericks.
- Free verse, on the other hand, is sometimes considered but will almost always lose out to a well-crafted poem in the classical form. The effort required to write in the traditional form is excruciatingly difficult and we want to honor those who work so hard to wed their words with classical form.
- For information on the type of formal poetry we seek, please visit The Society of Classical Poets or see the superb book The Making of a Poem by Strand & Boland published by Norton.
- This is a magazine that serves to honor Christ in all we publish, including poetry. While your poetry does not have to be grounded in the Bible per se, it ought not directly contradict teaching found in the Bible. Poems that highlight the true, the good, and the beautiful suit us fine.
How to Submit:
- We accept submissions year-round.
- You may submit up to three poems at one time.
- We accept simultaneous submissions of poems on the condition that poets withdraw once a poem is accepted for publication elsewhere in any form.
- We ask that poets wait six months between submissions.
- Our response time can take up to six months. We have a small staff, so please be patient. We can respond to you only if your poem is accepted for publication. If you have not heard from us after six months, you may enquire, and we will reply as we are able.
- Please submit your poems to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon publication, we will provide financial remuneration of $50.00 for each poem we publish. Rights revert to the author six months after publication, meaning that all authors can reprint their work as they would like after this six-month period. Modern Reformation retains non-exclusive reprint rights and reserves the right to publish the poem in our future formats and publications including anthologies.